Duncan Moore, BSc PhD – Chairman
- Duncan is a Life Sciences industry expert. He is a partner of East West Capital and an adviser to Ondra Partners. Prior to that he was a Managing Director at Morgan Stanley International where he was Global Head of Healthcare Research. During this time he led the equity market positioning of a number of major healthcare companies including Wellcome Plc, Sulzer Medica, Almirall and Grupo Rovi. He trained as a biochemist at the University of Leeds and has a PhD from the University of Cambridge. Whilst at Cambridge he co-founded a molecular diagnostics company with two colleagues. Following his move to the Capital Markets in 1985 he was involved in setting up the Bank Invest BioVenture funds and sat on the Board of these funds until they were sold in 2009. Duncan joined the Lamellar Board in December 2012 and was then appointed Chairman.
Alec McLean, BSc PhD – CEO
- Alec has more than 30 years’ experience in pharmaceutical drug development principally in respiratory, allergy and gastrointestinal medicine. Alec has been the CEO of lamellar since November 2011. Prior to this he was Global Head of Respiratory and Allergy product development at Quintiles, where he was employed for 14 years. His main areas of responsibility were full service clinical product and program execution, product development strategy and product and company due diligence for the commercial wing of Quintiles. His typical portfolio exceeded $300m, with yearly sales around $100m. Alec delivered pivotal studies for a range of pharma companies including Roche, AZ, Merck, Novartis, J&J and Vertex. Alec moved to Quintiles from AstraZenca where he held the position of Head of Projects. Prior to working in industry Alec was a Research Fellow at Edinburgh University Medical School working on the pathophysiology of COPD having completed his PhD on this subject.
Johnny Cordiner, BSc – CFO & Commercial
- Johnny has worked in biotechnology for nearly 20 years. He was formerly Commercial and Finance Director of e-Therapeutics plc having spun it out of Newcastle University and led it through 6 rounds investment including an IPO, raising over over $50 million in aggregate. He has been involved a variety of technology businesses including CEO of Profero Energy a company that uses bacteria focused biotechnology to increase oil recovery. Johnny continues to be involved in complex systems science as applied to biological systems including co-founding Novia Cosmetics. He is a chartered accountant, a graduate of chemistry and physics who was formerly an investment banker with Execution Nobles where he specialised in life sciences and oil gas in both advisory technology venture capital investment.
Dr Vivek Muthu – Non-Executive
- Dr Vivek Muthu qualified in medicine from Oxford and holds a first-class degree in neurophysiology from Cambridge. He worked at a number of teaching hospitals, including London’s Queen Square and the Hammersmith Hospitals, before joining the British Medical Journal, where he helped to develop and lead a team examining the value of drugs and devices. Vivek went on to found Bazian, a company dedicated to developing and servicing the needs of the emerging paradigm of value-based health internationally, focusing on the application of analytics and evidence to deliver high quality, safe, cost effective care. He sold Bazian to The Economist Group, becoming global MD of healthcare at the Economist Intelligence Unit. Vivek now continues to advise the Economist Group, and is a non-executive in a number of healthcare companies. He works with the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, focusing on improving healthcare provision in transitional Eurasian economies, and is also on the steering committee for All.Can, an international, multi-stakeholder initiative to improve outcomes for cancer patients. Vivek is regularly chairs and speaks at high level (C-suite and ministerial) multi-stakeholder summits, round tables and Advisory Boards globally, for the Economist, for industry, and for policy-makers, NGO and third sector participants in healthcare, the common theme of which is how to optimise innovation and patient and population health outcomes.
Dr Michiel Broker – Non-Executive
- Michiel has global experience in the healthcare sector working in financial advisory, investment and start-up firms. He is an advisor at Ondra Partners, the financial advisory firm, and has been based in London and New York. Michiel previously worked as a Senior Advisor to Malin, the Irish life sciences investment fund and he also ran an African pharmaceutical company based in Johannesburg and Nairobi. Michiel trained as a Medical Doctor at Leiden University Medical Centre and received his MSc. Economics from the University of Rotterdam in the Netherlands. His mother tongue is Dutch and he speaks English and German fluently and basic French and Swahili. Michiel is a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA).
John Carney, BSc, M.Litt (Cantab) – Non-Executive Deputy Chairman
- John has more than 35 years’ experience of achieving long-term value creation through building technology based enterprises in growth industries, including Life Sciences, ICT, Energy and specialist manufacturing. Formerly, John was an Investment Adviser to Lazard Development Capital and then a Director of Corporate Finance with Hoare Govett in London. John joined the Board in January 2013.
Gavin Clark – Non-Executive
- Gavin is an experienced Life Sciences licensing and business development professional. Presently, Gavin is Managing Director of Marlin Bioconsulting. Formerly, Gavin was Vice President of Business Development for Tibotec-Virco NV and before that Commercial Director of Phares Technology BV. Previously, he was responsible for Global Licensing Infectious Diseases at Glaxo Wellcome Plc and held senior marketing and commercial management posts with Ciba Pharmaceuticals, Bayer UK and Janssen Pharmaceuticals. Gavin is a Certified Licensing Professional as accredited by the Licensing Executives Society (USA and Canada). He joined the Board in April 2013.