Lamellar is a dynamic biotechnology company situated in Scotland where it plays a very active role in the life sciences community. This includes research collaborations with world renowned institutions and universities including but not limited to Roslin Institute, University of Edinburgh, University of Glasgow, University of Strathclyde, NHS Scotland, Glasgow Caledonian University, West of Scotland CF Unit, The Beatson Oncology Centre, University of Freiburg and University of Utrecht.
Since 2012 Lamellar has enlarged and renewed its patent portfolio including an approved antibiotic potentiation patent with 3 others pending including various other aspects of platform technology, further patents are at submission.
Lamellar has invested heavily in its own R&D capabilities, having recently designed, built and commissioned 3 new bespoke laboratories allowing the company to progress its own research in its key development areas.
The company has also been successful in attracting major grants to support its in-house research including SMART Scotland, NBIC award, MRS, SULSA, KTP and BBSRC iCase grants.
Its pioneering research and collaborative approach with the NHS saw the latter, uniquely for the UK, sponsor clinical studies. This involved both the West of Scotland CF unit and The Beatson Oncology Centre with the Beatson collaboration being recognised by the Scottish life science awards, (Scottish Enterprise) as runner up.
The level of engagement by Lamellar and their senior members of staff has seen them present at major symposia including:
- The Scotsman Life Science Conference, “Realising the Potential for Life Sciences in Scotland” presentation, The future of biotech industry in Scotland
- NHS Scotland Industry day – presentation, Collaborative research with NHS Scotland
- University of Glasgow Industry day “Future of Biomedicine”, presentation, collaborating with the NHS
- Medical Research Scotland Industry day – presentation to MRS students
- The Royal Society of Edinburgh, “AMR the ticking time bomb” presentation, AMR
- Beatson Cancer European Research Day – Lead PI presented Lamellar published research
- Scottish Cancer Research Network Conference – presentation “Early phase clinical trials”
The calibre of research saw the Lamellar team progress to the finals of the prestigious Duke of York’s “Pitch @ the Palace” 2017 event for SMEs, with the final held at St James Palace.
Lamellar are also active members of the Scottish Life Sciences Association and contribute in multiple specific interest groups (SIG’s). This included working with the SLA to lobby the development of the life sciences sector directly with the Scottish Government.